Saturday, June 16, 2012

Fashion is/as art (part 1).


I tend to get into discussions about fashion being art. I hate when people say it's not without giving any thought to it. It is even one of the themes in the "Impossible Conversations" between Miuccia Prada and Elsa Schiaparelli in the Met exhibition. Schiaparelli thinks fashion is art, Prada doesn't. It's one of those discussions that I rather not have anymore, because I always end up upset. So while this issue is settled by someone else, I will be reviewing the fashion exhibitions (in museums!) I've seen this summer.

Schiaparelli and Prada: Impossible Conversations
The clothes are beautiful, although I really wanted to see the lobster dress Schiaparelli designed with Salvador Dalí, but the conversations are also super interesting. I also found it very interesting that there were not as many people as in the McQueen exhibition last year. I guess people are not really interested in fashion unless the designer has a tragic ending.

 The Schiaparelli lobster dress.

The lobster dress Miuccia Prada designed for Anna Wintour to wear at the Met gala. Which lobster dress do you prefer?

The exhibition is divided in themes like 'The Exotic Body' or 'Naïf Chic'. Each section has a video where the two designers discuss the themes. It's curated beautifully, and of course no pictures were allowed at the exhibit but I found some good ones online.

 
The clothes from the exhibit worn by models for Vogue Magazine.

The Exotic Body
Ugly Chic
Naïf Chic (maybe my favorite section, full of creatures)
My favorite impossible conversation is "Hard Chic" because I agree with the idea of woman they describe, watch it below. And you can watch all the conversation videos, directed by Baz Luhrmann, here.

<p> Please enable flash to view this media. <a href="http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/">Download the flash player.</a></p>

Please enable flash to view this media. Download the flash player.


Stay tuned for more fashion as art!

No comments:

Post a Comment